Mobile cloud applications are considered as the next generation of mobile applications, due to their promises concerning the efficient utilization of mobile resources (e.g. offloading when it is needed), the rich functionality that can scale on demand and the reasonable levels of real-time interactivity for managing data-intensive tasks. However, adapting the cloud paradigm for mobile devices is still in its infancy and several issues are to be answered first. Some of the prominent questions are; how to decrease the effort and complexity of developing a mobile application that requires accessing distributed hybrid cloud architectures? How to handle a multi-cloud operation without overloading the mobile resources? How to keep the properties (e.g. memory use, application size etc.) of a mobile cloud application similar to that of a native one?
MCM and the resource intensive tasks can easily be envisioned in several scenarios. For instance, we have developed several mobile applications that benefit for going cloud-aware. Zompopo, consists of the provisioning of context-aware services for processing data collected by the accelerometer with the purpose of creating an intelligent calendar. CroudSTag, consists of the formation of a social group by recognizing people in a set of pictures stored in the cloud. Finally, Bakabs is an application that helps in managing the cloud resources themselves from the mobile, by applying linear programming techniques for determining optimized cluster configurations for the provisioning of Web-based applications.
- H. Flores, S. N. Srirama, C. Paniagua: Towards Mobile Cloud Applications: Offloading Resource-Intensive Tasks To Hybrid Clouds, International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, ISSN: 1742-7371. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. (In Print)
- S. N. Srirama, C. Paniagua, H. Flores: Social Group Formation with Mobile Cloud Services, Service Oriented Computing and Applications Journal, ISSN: 1863-2386. Springer. DOI: 10.1007/s11761-012-0111-5 (In Print)
- C. Paniagua, S. N. Srirama, H. Flores: Bakabs: Managing Load of Cloud-based Web Applications from Mobiles, The 13th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS-2011), December 5-7, 2011, pp. 489-495. ACM.
- S. N. Srirama, C. Paniagua, H. Flores: CroudSTag: Social Group Formation with Facial Recognition and Mobile Cloud Services, The 8th International Conference on Mobile Web Information Systems (MobiWIS 2011), September 19-21, 2011, v. 5 of Procedia Computer Science, pp. 633-640. Elsevier. doi: 10.1016/j.procs.2011.07.082.
- S. N. Srirama, H. Flores, C. Paniagua: Zompopo: Mobile Calendar Prediction based on Human Activities Recognition using the Accelerometer and Cloud Services, 5th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2011), September 14-16, 2011, pp. 63-69. IEEE.
Oleg Petshjonkin – Migration of Native Android Applications to HTML5 (2012)